Friday, April 10, 2009

Doctor Visist All Next Week

Monday morning I am scheduled to follow-up with my thoracic surgeon who will have me complete a pulmonary functioning test. I will talk with him about the immediate area where the tumor is and discuss risks related to the possibility of my lung collapsing again. I had been exercising everyday but I have since stopped and I would like to pick that up again. I am just not sure if that is something that I need to be doing with a compromised left lung. I do not want to cause it to collapse! I am sure that we will also talk about the cancer and what our options for surgery would be if it were the only tumor present in my system.

On Tuesday I am scheduled for my PET scan (insurance approved yesterday afternoon). I have never completed one of these types of scans. They are located in the basement of the doctor's office. Similar to the dungeon (basement in the tumor building) where I went for radiation, I am guessing this is to prevent radiation from scattering to nearby areas. I will be given a glucose formula and then have to sit in a recliner very still for about 45 minutes. Then I am taken to the PET scan machine for a scan of about 40 minutes. I have had so many scans that this will be nothing. Although, I do have to say that I am going to see if they will let me look at the results (at least with my doctors). That has to be a REALLY cool image to look at of yourself.

Then on Wednesday I am scheduled to see my medical oncologist. I will have completed the PET scan and we will have those results so we know what we are dealing with. I am fairly certain that he is going to want chemotherapy anyway we look at it. There will be some difficult topics when we talk but nothing that cannot be resolved. I will follow through with treatment if the tumor is by itself. If there are multiple metastases I am not sure what my thought on the matter will be. I initially feel that I would not really want to do chemotherapy again if it is only to postpone death. However, I guess it is within consideration to see how the tumors, hypothetically, would respond to treatment. It will ultimately depend on what type of chemo they are wanting to do. They really loaded me up the first go around and I am really afraid of doing that again. But I will probably suck it up and at least go down swinging!

Anyway, keep the thoughts and prayers coming. I am really going to need them starting next week. The waiting to know is the worst part of all this.

Peace,
Josh

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a fun-filled week of waiting rooms. We'll be praying for you-glad the insurance company didn't put things off for another week! Talk with you soon- Wade

Anonymous said...

Josh,
Drew had 5 PET scans - besides drinking the sugar stuff for him the worst part was having to lie still but then again he was never one to sit still in the best of circumstances - the images are cool and definitely ask for a copy - hospital should give you one but wait until the Doc explains it all so you don't start seeing things that aren't there. You and Kimberly are in our prayers. Focus on the day at hand and enjoy every minute. We will be checking back often - let us know if there is ANYTHING we can do.
Jane & Boxley

Anonymous said...

If you suffer from stress and anxiety, you really should think about visiting a counselor, particularly when your nervousness is critical sufficient to impact big aspects in your life. Therapists are trained to assist you to deal with your troubles and with each other, the two of you may start battling rear your nervousness. [url=http://www.x21w12w21.info]P55566ry[/url]