Thursday, April 16, 2009

Difficulties

I called yesterday and left a message with the thoracic surgeon asking for him to contact me to answer a few questions. I spoke with him today and asked him about his interpretation of the PET scan results. Like my medical oncologist, he also mentioned that the tumor was located in the bronchial tube at a place in the lung that is integral to providing air to the entire lung itself. This is not good. I asked him his thoughts about a surgical intervention and he stated that normally they would not do surgery on metastatic colorectal cancer in this situation, but that I was not a normal case (age and health status) and that it would be considered as an option. The bad part is that he stated that I would be facing the reality of losing at least half of my left lung with the potential of them taking the entire lung. Yes, you can live with only one lung and some live with parts of one lung, but I would have severe pulmonary functioning difficulties. For the time being I will continue with the chemo followed by another PET scan and bronchoscopy.

It really sucks to think about for a few reasons. If they normally do not do surgery on metastatic disease like this then that clouds my decision making process. For if a surgical intervention will only postpone further metastasis then do I want to choose another invasive procedure as a route of treatment? There will be no evidence available to inform me about whether I will prolong my life by any substantial amount versus not intervening at all. More than likely (although not gauranteed) the tumor will respond to treatment and potentially decrease in size. This will have me leaning towards surgical intervention. Again, however, if metastasis is to follow then is the pain and recooperation from surgery coupled with decreased pulmonary functioning advantageous to no surgical intervention at all. I will have to postpone chemotherapy to undergo a surgical intervention only to resume it after the fact. Not choosing surgery and continuing with chemotherapy may afford me the same amount of time that a surgical intervention presents. Fuck cancer!!!!

Josh

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is all so frustrating and I can't even begin to know what it is like to walk in your shoes right now. Know that you are thought about and prayed for.
Neal