Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Break-Down

I met with my medical oncologist about 2 hours ago. The PET scan results indicate that the most active area was in the left lung. Blood tests results indicate that organ functions are normal, as well as, normal red and white blood cell counts. There were two other spots on the scan that "lit-up," one under the right arm pit and the other in my sinuses. Although these "lit-up" there was do definitive evidence that they are malignant. That does not mean that they are not, but the doctor cited other reasons why there may be up-taking glucose cells involved other than cancer. The final conclusion will be whether or not the spots respond once therapy has been initiated.

That brings me to treatment. I will start chemotherapy on the 27th. I will be taking two drugs this go around. The good news is that neither one of them will be Oxylaplatin. Although I will not avoid getting sick or feeling cruddy, hopefully I will not "spew from all ends" or experience muscle cramps and spasms. I will be on one drug that I previously took which is 5-FU, or Flouracacil. Last time I had this medication in pill form, Xeloda; but this time I will receive it intravenously. This medication will have me on a take-home pump which will entail me also getting a port. The port will make my life easier for receiving medication and also for them drawing blood. The other medication that I will take will be Avastin, which assists by retarding the growth of blood vessels to the tumor.

The surgical and radiation option are still in the balance. My medical oncologist will discuss this with the other doctors and we will proceed from there. One issue noted in the PET scan was that the tumor is located in the bronchial tube rather than on the lung tissue itself. Although he is not a surgeon, the doctor noted that this can present difficulty for surgical intervention. Hopefully I will know more about these options in the near future.

I guess with all said, this is better news than it could have been. There are still unanswered questions and there is the hope of treatment. There is no cure for cancer, only treatment; and until a cure is invented I will stick with treatment. I don't want it, but I can do it. I am only looking at 3 rounds of chemo at first and then we will go from there following another PET scan.

Keep the thoughts and prayers coming. I will need strength to get through the chemo.

Josh

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thinking of you both.

The Llewellyns'

Kathy said...

I guess there could have been worse news, although sometimes I think learning that there are more questions than answers is just as hard. Thanks for keeping us updated and you are in our prayers!
Kathy

Anonymous said...

We are here for you, and the prayers never stopped.

Shannon, Mark and the boys