Monday, April 20, 2009

Checking-In

Kimberly and I had a nice weekend. We welcomed our new rector at our church this weekend for his first service. Also at our church on Saturday we attended an Italian dinner provided by the youth group. They were raising money for their summer mission trip. It was really nice and a good way for some people to get to know our new pastor and his family. It was probably really nice for him to have that ice breaker before his first Sunday. It took the pressure off a little I'm sure.

I am still doing my best to process everything that is going on. It is overwhelming at times, but in the end it is what it is. I will get my port put in tomorrow which will make my life much easier. They can easily draw blood for my labs and also administer chemotherapy through it. It will be a simple procedure. I am still really contemplating what questions to ask my doctors. There will be some huge decisions to make soon, with which there will be no clear direction presenting itself as the appropriate choice. I am afraid that it will end up being my judgment call. I will probably have to bust out the style of questions with my doctors which I have avoided up to this point. That being, "if this were your son, daughter, mom, etc. what would you recommend as a course of action?" Maybe there was a reason why I have spent a few years as a doctoral student understanding the importance of a good question!

Hope everyone is doing well!

Josh

1 comment:

M said...

Glad you had a nice weekend. We are thinking about you guys all the time.

Arming yourself with a list of questions is the best thing you can do as a patient. I am sure you know this but have follow up questions to your questions.(FYI, the doctors will skirt around the answers about it being their kid. They will tell the reasons why and why not and leave you more confused. Been there, tried that.)

Also, have a third person with you that can write everything down. What you hear will be different from what Kimberly hears because you two will be overloaded with information. Review the notes with the doctor in the room to make sure you have everything.

Good luck!!!!