Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Round 1 Complete

I officially finished my 46 hour chemo treatment this morning. The machine woke me up from a nap with an increasingly loud beep. I did not sleep well last night because my stomach finally started to disagree with the medicine. This was to be expected. Anyway, I had to remove the medicine bag line and then flush my line with saline followed by heparin. The saline flushes the line out and then the heparin keeps blood from clotting in the port. I wonder if I should answer in the affirmative now when I am asked on medical screens if I have ever been or am currently an IV drug user? After the initial flushing was complete I then had to remove the needle and tube. It is a rather ingenious little butterfly contraption. You grab the wings and pull outward away from the port and the wings collapse around the needle leaving it unexposed. Then I discarded everything into my medical waste bucket with hazardous symbols on the side. I left the bucket in our master bath, but maybe I should move it to the guest bath just to freak people out when they visit. I guess that is a little mean...ha ha! I was also thinking that I should put some other things down in my bucket just to fuck with the people who have to empty them. Nothing dangerous, just maybe some dirty old socks or underwear...or maybe a decapitated barbie doll. That should get their head spinning.

Anyway, hope everyone is well!

Peace,
Josh

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very happy to enjoy your wicked sense of humor tonight. You made me laugh outloud!!!
Neal

Anonymous said...

I am trying to keep up with everything since my return to Mobile. Two weeks and three states later I am trying to remember what? Had lunch with MaJones. When you need a smile a giggle or grin just think of a conversation with her on any subject and it will bring a smile to your face and a warm feeling in your heart. We love you and pray for you daily. Did you get the photos from Confirmation? Keep going and keep your sense of humor!
Love A.C.

Jamie O. said...

Hey Josh,
im glad to see you are still in cheerful spirits. thinking of you and kimberly. i hope u are doing as well as possible...

~jamie