Friday, August 31, 2007

Tattoo Who?

So, yesterday I went to the radiology oncologist's office for pre-radiation planning. I was really unsure what was going to happen. Basically, they have to correctly assess the tumor with a CT scan and then create a template of sorts with markers on my body for the radiation to be targeted specifically in that area. They first have me lie on a CT scan table on my stomach. They then position me correctly and slide a bag of sorts between my legs and the table. This bag is slowly filled with a liquid which slowly warms and solidifies. This creates a mold for the radiation table for me to sit on for my entire treatment regimen. It ensures that they have the correct positioning each time. I was impressed with this step and it made alot of sense.

The next phase involved the CT scan. It seemed like it took a little longer than a normal CT scan. There were red laser lights in the room which I believe positioned the correct marking points for the radiologists. That is really incredible to think about. What a really cool machine/computer combination. Well to maintain the marks you have two options. One option is to have the magic markers on your body. Well, technically, everyone has these. They explained the problem is that these often wash off after prolonged periods of time. So, I agreed to received three tattoos. So, I can now proudly say that I have three tattoos; and they were done by hand...prison style. Oh yeah!

Anyway, the radiology oncologist is really great! He seems as eager to get started as I am. It is a team approach and my ultrasound is not until Tuesday, but if it were up to him I would be starting radiation on Thursday.

Hope everyone has a nice weekend! Finally...college football. We had to give up mine and Kimberly's football tickets. We fetched a good deal for them, but I am really going to hate missing the action when savior Saban loses one. I hope those fans don't burn him at the stake. They are really pumped around Alabama, and as an Auburn fan I have to say that it looks like the atmosphere will be kicked up a notch in late fall on the plains.

Peace
Josh

3 comments:

Steve said...

Josh,

All I can say about football season, as usual, is - when does basketball season start? That's bad, huh, when it's not even September yet. Six freakin interceptions, and here we go again. I'm sure Auburn will be licking their chops on Sept. 15.

Mom W said...

Hey Josh when do you ever remember McT beating UMS once and then going into the next season, new coach and winning 47-0 ! Yes Johnathan and I were there to see it last year and again this year!
McT----My kids hate football! I love it. But that was another time and space as was Jimmi Hendrix.
Chris is here now for the weekend I am happy! Love to you and Kimberly. Enjoy your weekend games
A.C.

Clare Bolek said...

Well I am glad you have a prison tatoo to remember this experience!! Maybe when you are done with all of this you can have a connect the dots tatoo? Just an idea. I will need to use this in a therapy session with a kid or something. Seriously, it really seems like when you write a question on this blog the answer comes quickly once its posted. You are in my thoughts and prayers daily. Give a Birthday hug to Kimby for me:)