Monday, April 6, 2009

Doctor's Appointment

I heard from the my medical oncologist's office today. I am scheduled to see the doctor on the 15th. At first they said the 20th, but I told them they need to see me before I decide I don't want to do chemo again. They called back and said the 15th. I know it seems like a long way off, but they see so many people that the date is really not that bad. Of course I would love to see them today, but this is reality in oncology.

I asked if they could at least schedule my PET scan earlier, but they said they would have to see what the doctor wanted to do (meaning they would have to wait until the 15th). So, I called back my thoracic surgeon and left a message with the nurse to see if he could order the PET scan. If he can put the order in I may be able to get the PET scan ordered sooner than the 15th which will put me in line a bit earlier. Hopefully, I will have the results of the scan completed before I see my medical oncologist which will keep the process running smoothly.

I swear, between the doctors, insurance companies, and my own health (physical and emotional); being a cancer patient is a full-time job.

Josh

2 comments:

Andrea Rebecca Kersh Johnson said...

Good for you for being persistent and proactive in your own care. I will be praying they set up the PET scan before the 15. Andrea

M said...

Yes it is! Talk to my mom about the ways to get things done faster. She has tons of great tips! I am pretty sure she would call the scheduler directly to get the open times and then call the nurse to tell her to book it. You have to take things into your own hands. Sad but true.