Sunday, June 22, 2008

Blessings and Thanksgiving

First, I apologize for not updating everyone on the blog. You can take my lack of posting to mean that I have been doing really well. Things have finally gotten back to "normal" and my intestines are doing very well. Interestingly enough, one of the things that I changed that really helped was to stop taking my stool softener. I was thinking that I was going to be taking them for the remainder of my life, but I do alot better without them. They were causing me to go more frequent and making it difficult to leave the house. With a little experimenting with various dietary needs, medications, and behavior changes (little to no snacking) I have gotten down to about three bathroom visits a day, and they are fairly predictable. I am still nervous about upcoming scans and what-not, but I guess I will have to live with that. The feeling in my hands and feet has returned completely so I believe I may dodge permanent neuropathy. The only complaint I have (and believe me I do not mean to complain about the way things are for me) would be that I get what is termed by other j-pouch patients as "butt burn." Everyone has had it before, but I get it pretty regularly. Nothing that a good hot bath doesn't fix.

Anyway, I feel healed from the surgery with relatively little pain in my incision areas. I still get some stiffness in my abdomen and stomach, but that might have to do with me being more active these days. I played tennis yesterday and hope to get back to regular exercise again.

The big thing these days is that Kimberly and I are getting ready for our vacation next week. We leave on the 29th for North Carolina and we are so excited. This has been a difficult year for us both and we look forward to getting away for a little R&R.

I love everyone and hope to talk to you all soon!

Josh

P.S. For those keeping up with my school progress, I have finally completed my annotated bibliography. Now I have to submit it to my committee, probably make some edits, and then hopefully defend it in early fall.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's awesome news there Josh. I think there's cause for a lot of optimism, and I'm pulling for you to be able to stay active and continue your PHD program.

Y'all have fun in North Carolina. Won't be long until football season now. Go Dawgs (always) and War Damn Eagle (except on Sept. 13).

Luv y'all,

Steve

Dana said...

Josh, what GREAT news! You and Kimberly have a wonderful vacation in North Carolina. Heck yeah about the bib. That is awesome. Take care.

Dana

Anonymous said...

Have a great Vacation! We all look forward to hear from you soon.
Love and Prayers Always,
A.C.

Anonymous said...

Hey! We love ya! And will be talking to you soon. Have a safe trip and relaxing time in N.C.

Much love,